Abstract: Robots have become an integral part of 21st century due to their excessive use in industries, household, hotels and offices. Now-a-days robots are also been used for household applications like cleaning purpose, security purpose etc. Cleaning is an important factor for healthy living and hygiene but due to lack of time it is being neglected. Hence we can have this objective as automatic and intelligent cleaner having two facilities like vacuum cleaner and floor cleaner with a mop attached to it. There are various options available for cleaning purpose such as iRobot’s Roomba but they are not so cost effective. Hence we aim to develop a smart cleaner with additional functionality of wet cleaning with mops in low cost with better efficiency. Also for extensive cleaning we are using obstacle detection system to avoid the robot failure and cover more floor area to clean. This system is intended to do intensive household cleaning by providing dry as well as wet cleaning.
Basically the objective is to clean more floor area in efficient manner hence obstacle detection and avoidance is necessary and it is achieved by interfacing ultrasonic sensor with raspberry pi which is mounted on servo motor. A minimum threshold distance is set in order to avoid any kind of physical damage to the robot and based upon the distance between obstacle and robot a decision will be made for path like moving in forward direction, turning left or right. The whole system is voice controlled hence the voice command from the user is taken and recognized using speech recognition api. The microphone is always in the active state in order to listen the user and satisfy the need. Depending upon the command, robot will start the respective action with the help of relays it can be start vacuum cleaner or start floor cleaner.
Here for vacuum cleaning a 12V DC motor is used and in-case of creating mops BO type DC motors are used. Motors used in vacuum cleaning and floor cleaning will be controlled with the help of relay module and a supply of 12V battery is given to both of them. The vacuum cleaning principle used here is, it will be provided with a inlet pipe which is called sucking end. Once the motor is started inlet pipe will suck in the dust and it will be passed to the dust bag attached to the pipe internally. The dust bag is made of micron fabric which will let the dust to get captured in it and pass the pure or dust free air through it. Also there is outlet for giving out the dust free air back to the environment. For floor cleaning mechanism, 2 BO motors are used which are attached to the mops. Once the motors are set on it will start cleaning the floor and also it will start automated water pump for wet cleaning purpose. Overall system is user-friendly as the mops are detachable and dust bag can be cleaned or emptied easily and also the whole system operates just by a voice command.
- Activate the microphone and listen to the user given voice command.
- With the help of speech recognition convert the voice signal into text and understand what query user has fired.
- If the query doesn’t match to the standard command or is unrecognizable then discard the input and goto1.
- Based upon the command perform or initiate the respective action of vacuum cleaning or floor cleaning. The user command will trigger the code for cleaning purpose and this turning on/off will be performed with the help of relay module which will set circuit on/off based on the command.
- Algorithm runs in assumption that obstacles can be arbitrary, both in quantity and position also it knows nothing about the surrounding environment.
- Also start the obstacle avoidance system with the help of ultrasonic sensor and servo motor and calculate the distance between obstacle and robot.
- Compare the distance with threshold distance also move the direction of ultrasonic sensor by changing the duty cycle of servo motor as we know that servo motor’s shaft can be rotated within range 0 to 180 degrees hence using a single sensor we can cover front, left and right sides of robot for obstacle detection.
- Depending upon the distance returned by the sensor from all directions make a decision for path i.e. whether to continue going front or to change direction either left or right.
- If Front, left, right all sides have obstacle then initiate the backward motion to avoid stuck in the same position.
- Keep the microphone always in active state in order to as to listen another query from user.
- If command from user is to stop the action then perform stopping of particular action.
International Institute of Information Technology (I²IT), Pune
P- 14 , Rajiv Gandhi Infotech Park,MIDC – Phase I, Hinjawadi,Pune – 411 057, Maharashtra, India