A permanent lawyer is unable to make personal, lifestyle and treatment decisions on your behalf. The authority of the permanent lawyer is limited to making decisions about your financial affairs and property. The Public Advocate recommends that no more than two joint permanent guardians be appointed. If a permanent guardian is unable to perform his or her duties, he or she may resign from his or her position. If a decision is necessary for which the permanent guardian does not have the necessary authority and a decision cannot be made informally, the permanent guardian may submit a request for modification of the UPC to the State Administrative Court. It is possible that the same person will be appointed as permanent guardian and permanent lawyer at the same time. You choose the type of decisions your permanent guardian can make, such as: where you live and the treatments and services you receive. You can clarify your EPG instructions to account for these fluctuations. For example, you could add the following directive: “I have been diagnosed with clinical depression and I want my permanent guardian to act if my doctor determines that I am incapable.” The Public Advocate`s Guide to Permanent Guardianship in Western Australia provides the Permanent Guardian with information on the decision-making process. Reading this may be enough to support them in their role. The permanent guardian can also contact the telephone counsel of the public prosecutor at 1300 858 455. Although the counselling centre cannot make the decision for the permanent guardian, it may be able to provide advice that supports them in their role.

Examples of full (all features) and limited (only certain features) EPG forms are available for reference, as well as our EPG publications. Yes, it is possible to appoint the same person as your attorney and permanent guardian, however, each appointment must be made separately using the correct forms, i.e. a continuing power of attorney form must be completed to appoint your attorney and a permanent guardianship form must be completed to appoint your permanent guardian. A permanent guardianship (EPG) is a legal document that allows a person to appoint one or more people (trusted and knowledgeable) as their permanent guardian to make personal, lifestyle and medical treatment decisions when they are unable to make or communicate those decisions for themselves. This means that your role as permanent guardian ends immediately after the member`s death. At this point, the provisions of the will take care of the person. A permanent guardian is appointed to make personal, lifestyle and treatment decisions (to the extent that authority is granted in the UPC form) for the officer in the event that the officer loses the capacity to make the decisions. If you want your lawyer to also be your permanent guardian, you can create an EPG and appoint it to make personal, lifestyle and treatment decisions. A person can have both a living will and a permanent guardian, or a single living will or a single permanent guardian.

This means that if you are unable to make a treatment decision on your own, your BDBA`s instructions will be used instead of asking your permanent guardian to make those decisions for you. If you issue an advance health directive (ODBA), it will take precedence over your permanent guardian`s decisions for the treatment specified in the document. Sometimes a person`s ability to make informed decisions can fluctuate depending on the severity of their condition, for example, if the person has a mental illness. In these circumstances, your permanent guardian will be able to take responsibility for decision-making during periods when you are unable to make decisions for yourself, and then when you recover, your permanent guardian will stop making decisions because you can make them yourself. If you have reason to believe that a permanent guardian is abusing or neglecting the agent in any way, or is not making decisions that are in his or her best interest, and the interview with the permanent guardian did not resolve your concerns, you should consider filing a petition with the state administrative court regarding the operation of the UPC. The person you appoint to make decisions on your behalf is called a permanent guardian. The officer (the person who performs permanent guardianship) and the agent (the person appointed as permanent guardian) must keep copies of the UPC in a secure place from which they can be easily accessed if needed. You need to make sure your permanent tutor is aware of your personal values, beliefs, and lifestyle preferences. If you prefer to enter the information, you will find the format of the permanent guardianship authority form in the 2005 By-law and Trusteeship. These can be found at www.legislation.wa.gov.au/ where the form can be downloaded as a Word document that you can work on. If the representative has legal capacity, the permanent guardian must inform the representative that he is resigning and return all personal documents and copies of the UPC.

In this case, the Commissioner may create a new UPC with another permanent tutor. Service providers should also consider how to record information on GPE, the authority of the permanent guardian and ensure that all employees are informed. No, being a permanent tutor is a volunteer role that comes with a number of responsibilities. It is up to you whether or not to accept an appointment as a permanent guardian of a person. No, a permanent guardian cannot make financial decisions on behalf of a trustee. When a person created an EPG, they decided who should make certain decisions on their behalf if they lose their abilities. Service providers should visit the UPC to find out who has been appointed as a permanent guardian and what decision they can make. You cannot use your BDBA to appoint a permanent tutor. To appoint a permanent guardian, you must complete an EPG form.

A permanent guardian may be empowered to make decisions about things like where you live, what support services you have access to, and what treatment you receive. A permanent guardian cannot be authorized to make property or financial decisions on your behalf. If you are the person`s executor, all the actions you perform will be done in your role as executor, not permanent guardian. They can appoint more than one permanent guardian as joint permanent guardians, but they must act jointly, which means they must agree on all decisions they make on your behalf. If you plan to appoint more than one permanent tutor, it`s important to consider their ability to work together on your behalf. Hospitals and geriatric care facilities should develop their own policies and guidelines on whether employees can or should witness Enduring Guardianship Authority (EPG) documents. These guidelines will be important to ensure that due diligence requirements are met and that staff are not compelled to testify, particularly when there are concerns about the capacity of the person preparing for UPC.